Frequently Asked Questions
What is CoLang 2018?
CoLang offers an opportunity for undergraduate and graduate students, practicing linguists, and indigenous community members to develop and refine skills and approaches to language documentation and revitalization. The Institute is designed to provide an opportunity for a diverse range of participants to become trained in a wide range of skills in community-centered language documentation.
Please visit our homepage or navigate to our other pages using the sidebar for more information.
When can I register for CoLang 2018?
Registration for CoLang 2018 is open from January 2 to April 1, 2018.
Please visit our registration page for more information.
When is CoLang 2018?
CoLang 2018 will be held from June 18 to July 20, 2018 at the University of Florida. There are two registration options:
- Two-week Workshops (June 18-29) – Two weeks of intensive workshops on practices, principals and models of language documentation and revitalization. Please visit our workshops page or download the CoLang 2018 schedule for more information on the workshop courses that will be offered at CoLang 2018.
- Five-week Workshops (June 18-July 20) – The Two-week Workshops followed by a three-week practicum (field methods) course, working with speakers of select indigenous languages applying hands-on techniques in language documentation. Please visit our practica page for more information on the languages that will be studied at CoLang 2018.
Participants may choose to enroll only in the two-week workshops however, both parts are integrated, as students who enroll in the field training are required to enroll in the preceding two week workshops, thereby receiving an intensive course in documentary best practices before putting these skills to use.
What are the costs for each type of workshop?
- Two-week Workshops: Approx. $1,559.00
- Five-week Workshops: Approx. $4,063.00
These amounts include room, board and transportation. Note that both Workshops’ costs do not include airfare. You are responsible for your own transportation to and from Gainesville.
Are there any grants/fellowships/scholarships?
Yes, there are several fellowship opportunities available from the Linguistic Society of America and the Endangered Languages Fund.
- Please visit our Fellowship Application page for more information.
- Please note that the deadline for fellowship applications is Feb 8, 2018.
There are additional fellowship opportunities available for members of a recognized Native American groups.
- For more information, please contact the CoLang directors: George Aaron Broadwell, Brent Henderson, Eric Potsdam, or James Essegbey
How do I select the workshops that I want?
Once you are a registered participant of CoLang 2018, you will be able to select the courses that you wish to be a part of, and rank them from first choice to last. Participants will be enrolled in workshops on a first-come first-served basis. Please select all of the workshops that you wish to be a part of, as not all of your first choices may be selected.
What about housing accommodations?
We have reserved a block of rooms in two of UF’s residence halls for instructors and students. Both residence halls are conveniently located on the east side of UF’s campus, and are a short walk away from the main CoLang venues.
Students will be housed at Mallory Hall, which offers single, double, and triple dorm-style rooms. Please see this website for more information about Mallory Hall.
Instructors will be housed at UF’s Cypress Hall, which offers single, double, and ‘super’ suite-style rooms. Cypress Hall rooms include a XL Full bed frame & mattress, dresser, desk & chair, and closet/wardrobe per guest. Each suite includes a bathroom with a sink, toilet, and shower. The sinks are inside the bedroom so guests can brush their teeth, wash their face/hands and not occupy the bathroom. Please see this website for more information about Cypress Hall.
CoLang 2018 is sponsored by the National Science Foundation (BCS-1664464), the Linguistic Society of America, and the University of Florida.